Sunday, July 4, 2010

Mokelumne Electra Run - 7/3/10

In anticipation of my packrafting trip to Alaska, I took a float down the Mokelumne River near the town of Jackson, CA. I was alone so I found a group floating in inflatable canoes to run with me. I gaged that this would increase my safety in case I went for a swim. After about the first half mile, I didn't see them until the takeout! Bastards!


Put in: right below Electra Powerhouse
Take out: CA-Rt. 49 bridge
Flow: 1800 CFS (high)
Approx. River Miles: 3
Air Temperature: 85F
Water Temperature: 58F

The run was really fast, and the waves were big -- the biggest I've seen in my Alpacka Denali Llama raft. There were myriad strainers, many times above the main current which piled against the banks of the river. Anticipation and backpaddling kept me out of all but one. I definitely felt at some point that the river was running me; but this is always the case...

One near-swim occurred at the S-Turn (mile 2.6) where the water piles up against the rock and wanted to yank the right side of my raft underwater. It was a sucking, tugging feeling, and ultimately I braced myself and two paddles brought me through.

Overall, the "Moke" was an ideal practice run for getting colder and bigger (versus Cache Creek near Rumsey, CA).

Notes on Technique & Gear:
  • I found that turning up the 'rpm' of my paddling increased my stability inside the rapids (versus 'ruddering' with a stationary paddle). It also, by virtue of the motion, brings your center of mass forward and towards the center of the boat, which also helps stability.
  • My GoLite Pinnacle backpack was stuffed with a surplus of water to simulate heaviness at the front of my raft (in lieu of unnecessarily jeopardizing equipment by stuffing it with clothes or other valuables) -- which made it slide down the raft and 'pool' on the deck. I will have to work to balance and secure it tightly at the beginning of the day, while also keeping certain supplies available quickly (TP, water, snacks). Overall, stability felt great with the extra weight up front.
  • My throw-rope was strapped to 'guard rail' directly behind my back. I find this position impossible to access in-boat, and difficult even while out-of-boat. I think a better spot will be within the pack-tach system right in front of me, quick-draw style.
  • I did not wear sunglasses, which improved my ability to discern the rapids and did not jeopardize a valuable (lost two pairs in rivers already!). Also, they get wet with splashing and perspiration that further degrades visibility on the water. I will consider installing a removable visor that will be nice on sunny, exposed days.

A good description of the run can be found at: http://cacreeks.com/mok-elec.htm
(note: I got out prematurely at mile 2.9, so missed "Devil's Toiletbowl"...the Class III. Will have to check this out next time)

- - - - - - -

To round out the weekend, I floated Cache Creek the following morning for fun. It was a quick float from the confluence of Bear Creek to Middle Campground at ~800 CFS. I hit plenty of rocks with my butt, but did not swim. My brother Bryant and his girlfriend Paige were there to greet me upon take-out. We took a few photos because well, it's Independence Day -- and it's good to be alive!

No comments:

Post a Comment