Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Feeling good on the Gallatin River



Getting a float in on a Tuesday evening strikes me as something very special about living in Bozeman, Montana. Is that why I'm here? Probably yes. To be able to drive 35 minutes to a beautiful whitewater float, on a world class trout river, with zero traffic on a whim is truly grand. The two fellows I rafted with (Kendall and Matt) represent the epitome of what I like most about fellow packrafters: They love the water, the eloquence of a lightweight packable craft, and are out to have fun period.

As the sun sank behind the Gallatin canyon walls, the mayflies were hovering all over the flat parts of the river shooting around like my image of a chain atomic reaction, particles zipping zipping, colliding, buzzing. It looked like a 'hatch' - which would explain the quietly persistent anglers wading near the holes. The run was an easy Class II with a few drops, a bunch of butt-bumping rocks (low water), and one fun surfable wave where we spent a good half hour. I look forward to seeing this piece of water in higher flows come springtime.

Firsts for me: First packraft in Montana. First non-dam-controlled water I've floated. First nightime-ish float.

See Topo map here


View Larger Map

Put in: Moose Creek Flats Campground
Take out: Lava Lakes trailhead (Gallatin National Forest)
Flow: 500 CFS (low)
Approx. River Miles: 5
Air Temperature: 65F
Water Temperature: 55F
Class: PR II

No comments:

Post a Comment