Monday, September 27, 2010

Dropping a hook near Axtell Bridge, Gallatin River


Luke and I got an early start on Sunday, each of us itching to get out and fish some in the beautiful fall weather. After a truckers breakfast at The Western Cafe (Main st., Bozeman) and two "Bobcat specials", we headed towards Gallatin Gateway and pulled off the highway at Axtell Bridge.

We were wading into the cool, gentle water of the lower Gallatin River by 10:15am. We're both nubes, so we just started getting some line out and fishing (probably overfishing) some holes. My waders worked great, albeit the rocks are quite slimy and after the current gets above the knees it's tough to balance with a rod in your hand.

Thoughts on the day:
  • How long should we fish each hole? I've heard that a three-cast maximum is plenty - then move on.
  • Are we using the correct flies? One fisherman I ran into was using a "parachuting Adams" fly which floats down to the water slower than I was getting with my neon magenta synthetic cheap-o. I'll have to stop in a fly shop next time to get some local beta.
  • Where should I put my fly in the water, and how should I handle a quicker current? We had to re-cast after only a few seconds of drift yesterday.
The day was pleasant, air crisp, and water refreshing. I'll be back.

No comments:

Post a Comment